[wisb] 38 species in 1 hr. at Bubolz

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 09:01:08 -0700 (PDT)

    Good morning everyone ---
           Not a bad morning after the storms of last night.  I actually made
it !!!   Finally, some time out up near the Tech.   Bubolz was the choice and
what a nice choice it was.  As said, 38 species in an hour or so, and 5 of them
were FOY's ,   Green Heron, Com. Yellowthroat,  Catbird,  N. Waterthrush and RB
grosbeak.  Otherwise for Bubolz' sake I also received Swamp sparrow,
Gnatcatchers (4),  orioles, E.towhee,  Red-eyed  and warbling vireos,
White-crownerd, white-throated and field sparrows, N. Rw- swallow, sora and
Redbelly, the only woodpecker heard or seen here today.    Then I headed back
to Tech but due to shortened time I power-birded Brewster's Woods.  Jotted down
what I heard and saw only, no pishing, except one brief moment for 3 repeat
warbler sps. FOY's here included Great crested flycatcher and Tenn. Warbler.
   Now for a strange.  (As Paul Harvey used to say).  Last night as the squall
line approached the area, I saw an osprey heading north right into the storm.
Another oddity this morning, Off-topic may it be, was hearing a very early
cricket chirping in the Bubolz
 parking lot !!  Also saw a fly-over loon on the way up here.  Had a Nashville
Warbler singing all day in my back yard.  Seemed like it never moved from that
one tree it was in.
     Sound like the bird count is supposed to be chilly and rainy this
Saturday, but that's not stopping me.  We all have seen awesome results of
birding even in a light to moderate rain. Hopefully it'll hold off 'til later.
    Paul Bruce, Oshkosh/Appleton
    Winnebago/Outagamie Cos.