[wisb] 20 Kestrel day on the road in Ill.

  • From: Claudia <cgiamati@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 06:16:26 -0600

Greetings,
Yesterday morning, I began my day in Newburgh In, pishing 4 tufted titmice in
my sister's garden to driving almost the entire length of Illinois, and made
sunset over Madison! I counted birds along the way, hoping to see some of the
numerous Red tail hawks that winter there. I was happily surprised that I saw
20 American Kestrels mostly on utility lines... But later in the day,they were
hunting, sometimes in the median!
I only tallied 15 Red Tail hawks, which seems low compared to my previous
holiday walkabouts in rhe same region. I stopped at a nice rest Area wayside
called Salt Kettle, still in Indiana, and was treated to a red shouldered hawk
and a robin there.. There were also swarms of starlings, closer to the Ohio
river gradually replaced by swarms of Canada geese as I arrived in S.
Wisconsin. Good to be home..
The crisp clear sky and air are fantastic here, but there is little snow !!
Good birding!

Knowledge of the path is no substitute for putting one foot in front of the
other ~ MC Richards
Claudia Giamati
Chippewa County####################