[WinPrnDev] Re: Creating a Printer Driver

  • From: garyp@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: winprndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:06:17 +0100

Dear Sam,
Ah, you mean the path to the Output file. But you can do this in Windows
anyway. One of the standard ports in Windows is FILE: (open the Port option
for any of your print queues and you can choose that) which will then put up
a dialog asking where you want to save the resultant file. The format of
that file will of course depend upon what your driver generates (PCL,
PostScript, XPS etc.). If you don't want a prompt everytime then you can
create a new port in Windows, choose "Local port", and then type in a path
to a file name. It'll keep getting overwritten each time you print to it
though.
Most print drivers that produce PDF (as you are referring to) are usually
based around a PostScript driver, and they use a custom port monitor to grab
the PostScript output and distil this into PDF at which point they can
prompt you for a destination file. There are also "pure" PDF solutions out
there that accept the GDI printed by the Windows application and they
generate PDF without going though the interim PostScript stage.
Regards,
Gary