[WinPrnDev] Re: Creating a Printer Driver

  • From: Rune Moberg <jjflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winprndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:04:41 +0200

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Sam Elamin <hussam_88@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Wont the driver know where its supposed to save the output pdf and hence has
> the PATH?

If you take a peek at your own printer folder, you will notice (in
Properties) that each of your installed printers have an associated
port. This port could be anything, a TCP/IP network address, a file,
or a physical connector on your local PC. Each of these are provided
by what is referred to as a "Port Monitor".

I believe the source code for one of the main port monitors (the one
dealing with RS-232 and LPT ports) is available in the WDK.

As I recall, a port monitor can be split in two parts, one that
handles GUI stuff and the other one that handles the print job itself.
(the details getting a bit fuzzy for me now) Make sure you understand
what it takes to handle terminal servers.

You also need to pay attention to whether the spooler will print
directly to the printer (in my experience the easiest option) or if it
will spool the job first (until the application is done with its
thing). Again I do not recall any specifics -- just that there were
some pain involved.

A Port Monitor do not have to export many functions, but make sure you
use the new interface (so you stand a hope of supporting Terminal
Server). I had some problems with installing my port monitor using the
API, so I suspect the old exports need to be implemented as well.

--
Rune
---