[WinPrnDev] Re: Creating a Printer Driver

  • From: "Jason Harrison" <jharrison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <winprndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:44:50 -0700

Hey Sam,

With the WDK 7600 there is an XPS printer sample, and much older port monitor
sample.  The harder part is connecting them and
installing them.  But all of the code is there and I believe working.

-Jason

--

Jason Harrison
Sr Software Developer

  _____

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message (and any attachment to it) is intended
only for the use of the individual or entity to which it
is addressed in the header, and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. Any reproduction, distribution, modification or use of the contents of
this message (and any attachment to it) by any
individual or entity other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please
notify us immediately and delete the original.

  _____

P Please think before you print!

From: clinton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: winprndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:32:58 +0100

Hi Sam,

I'm doing this off the tail end of what seems like a long discussion.

Not sure if you have your answer yet but might have a few design ideas for you.

What you are trying to achieve has been done before and is possible.

Back in 2002 I was faced with a similar issue. Getting a document off the
client PC and sending it round the world to an unknown
print server.

The solution is a combination of technologies that each do their own part..

1.) I used a PostScript print driver ( Generic PPD will do the job ) that pass
the print stream onto a portmonitor ( this gives you
the control to assign to random filename and pass onto the next module either
WebService or in my case a socket service client ).

THINGS TO REMEMBER:

If you are to allow for duplex, orientation, colour etc, then you will need to
gather this info and "drag" it along. I developed a
PostScript parser that drives through the spool file ( PostScript ) extracts
these bits and then passes this with the file along (
make use of network sockets and send as parameters or HASH index - a WenService
or Socket listener would need to manage these
parameters ). OR in the world of WebServices pass over an XML stream that can
be managed.

On the "Server" side either convert to a generic format i.e. PDF which then can
be converted over to MOST printer specific languages

2.) Develop a portmonitor that manages the spoolfile and controls calling the
"service client" either webservice or sockets.
Remember to remove the file and close portinfo thus removing the JOB off the
print queue.

3.) The bigest problem with transmitting data around is that we forget about
the wonderful worl of TCP/IP packets and ERROR
checking. What happens if network goes down during transmission, do I restart,
fail, notify user or cycle through a number of socket
trying to establish connection.

Hope this helps for starters.

Clinton Bessesen

check out www.pdqit.com