[windows2000] Re: setting up a ghost server

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:34:48 +0200

No problem.

--

/Sorin

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Patrick
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:26 PM
To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [windows2000] Re: setting up a ghost server

Thanks. I will have a look at it

  _____

From: Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, April 13, 2010 3:21:06 PM

Well, you have this opensource cd-image that you burn and then boot your
windows machine with. It will then go out and aquire an ip from an dhcp-server
and then continue booting from the cd. When done you get the choice to either
clone the Windows disk or partitions to an ftp-server, or retrieve a cloned
disk or partition image from the the same ftp-server.

The solution works fine if you have many identical Win-machines. FWIW, it reads
the client disk (or partitions) bit-by-bit, so g4u is not limited to cloning
MS-machines only. Most everything goes that can boot from the cd.

Clonezilla is a fork of this I believe, with a plethora of “GUI”’s added,
progress indicators and what not. G4u (“ghost for unix”) is good enough though
for me. ;-)

My setup over here is with thirty-some Fujitsu-Siemens E600’s with identical
hardware plus a dozen or so OEM’s with ranging hardware. Some time ago I
installed one FSC-machine with WinXP and Office and put it in a workgroup. I
then cloned it and used the same image for the rest of the E600’s. Adding the
machine to the domain I do manually, and at which point it will download and
install the rest of the software using regular AD-GPO’s.

The solution is still usable as long as the machine architecture is in the <5
types range or so, more than that and then the image sizes might be starting to
give some problems if the ftp-server space is limited.

One way around that is to use a perl-script to zero all empty non-written
sectors on the client disk, as this will greatly reduce the image size
afterwards. I’ve seen 50% improvements in image size on a 40-80GB hd.

Did I mention it’s free, open-source?

More info about g4u on below links.

Authors documentation:

http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/