[windows2000] large number of files in folder, slow lan access

  • From: Richard Hopper <Richard.Hopper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:50:41 +0100

Hi,
        I have a NT4 server which has a few folders with a fairly large
number of files. 4000, or 12000 say.  Most of the files are fairly small <
16K.   Browsing through these folders is painfully slow.  The server is not
heavily loaded by any means.  Is there anything I can do to improve this.
The server is a 333Mhz PII with 256meg of ram. with over 180 megs of ram
available.

Cheers

Richard

expressed in this email are those of the individual and not necessarily the
Company.  This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted from
the Company, are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
recipient(s).

It may contain material protected by attorney-client privilege. If you are not
the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering to the intended
recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any
use is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the Network
Administrator by telephone on +44 (0)1536 207000 or via email to
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx including a copy of this message.  Please then delete
this email and destroy any copies of it.</font>