[windows2000] Re: global catalog servers and domain controllers, etc

  • From: "Ron Leach" <rleach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:26:46 -0400

Hey Rod,

The global catalog server holds the global catalog.  This is usually the first
DC that you install AD services on.  The global catalog in turn holds
frequently used info such as first and last names, login names, etc.  The
global catalog is used to locate objects throughout the network without having
to replicate all the domain info between domain controllers.  Cuts down on
lookups in the source domain.

List, Please correct any of the above if needed.  Thanks!

HTH

PS I'm a rookie too so don't feel bad. ;)

Ron