[windows2000] Re: *.bat files under windows!

  • From: "Robert K Coffman Jr - Info From Data" <bcoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:22:46 -0500

I believe .bat uses command.com as its shell, whereas .cmd uses cmd.exe.

For one difference, run command.com and type (from the root of C:):

cd Program Files

Then try it under cmd.exe

CMD is definitely preferable if you don't need the backward compatability,
ie. you may want to avoid .cmd in login scripts that may execute on Windows
95, 98 or ME machines....