[windows2000] auditing who executes an application on W2K server

  • From: "Mike Perrin" <perrinm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:16:21 -0400

Hi all,

My problem is this:

I have a W2K server on which there is an application that runs from an
executable stored on the server. I wish to have an event generated in
the sec event viewer everytime one of the 4 users who uses this app,
executes the file to open it.

So far I have:

Gone into local security policy (secpol.msc) and enabled auditing on
object access (success).

Gone into the properties of the exe I am auditing and in the
security/advanced/auditing tab I have entered in the user accounts of
all the users I wish to audit.

Here is where I am confused: which items have to be checked off in the
access table for this exe so that 2000 only gives me events when the
file is executed, not for every time someone breathes on the server or
looks at it funny (object access auditing is very very extensive, I want
to KISS (keep it simple silly).

Thanks in advance for the help,

Mike