[windows2000] XP slow interacting from File server

  • From: "Toby Bierly" <toby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:36:29 -0700

At various times, everyone here in the office with an XP computer (actually I
think one of the complaints came from a W2K computer) seems to complain that it
takes forever to open up any files off of the Windows SBS2000 server (which is
also DC).  For example, they will open Word and click File -> Open.  Everything
is going great. They are on top of the world.  But then they browse to the "G
drive", which is mapped to a folder on the SBS2000 server, and they are stuck
waiting 30 seconds for the list of files and folders to show up.  Most of the
time it works ok, and then one afternoon it will be really slow, so it's hard
to figure out.

I have tried reading various KB articles from Windows but can't seem to find
one that describes this exact behaviour.  It's like something doesn't get a
correct response and it is stuck waiting to time out.

Anybody familiar with this?  Anything I should be doing to help diagnose the
problem.

Thanks,
Toby