[windows2000] XP REGISTRY_ERROR

  • From: "Neil Bullock" <n.bullock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:44:14 -0000

Hi,

This is an odd one.  I mentioned it a while ago in another thread about
whether installing XPSP2 was a good idea or not.  That is, after we
installed XPSP2, certain machines randomly started crashing with 0x00000051
REGISTRY_ERROR stop errors, requiring a re-image.

We have four rooms of computers, all different makes and models, which do
this.  It's not every computer in every room - just a handfull which keep
doing it repeatedly, even after re-imaging (they work for a while, then die
again).  We have a fifth room which does not do this, which is running
FAT32.  All the other rooms are NTFS.

We decided we'd try and blame SP2, and so took a machine out of one of the
problem rooms and formatted it with NTFS, then installed all the software.
We left SP2 out of the image, and then put the image on in the problem room,
hoping we might have fixed the problem.

It turns out that we haven't.  It still happens.  It never happened before
we put SP2 on, and we've now no idea what the problem might be.  We can't
spend our lives reimaging machines like this :)

I am starting to think there may just be some dodgy hard disks in some of
the rooms.  I really don't want to put all the machines to FAT32.  Does
anyone have any suggestions?  Weird ones or hunches based on wild
speculation welcome.

Neil.