[windows2000] Re: Windows Server 2003 upgrade

  • From: Neil Bullock <n.bullock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 13:26:48 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

OK, you seem to be on to something.  I can't even get into ADSS, it
says:

Naming information cannot be located because:
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

On the other domain controller, ADSS works fine and I can see the
problem DC's NTDS settings.  It also works on the problem DC if I
connect ADSS to the IP address of the server.

Also, I was wrong about the group policy processing errors - they
weren't fixed by SP1, but they were fixed by this:  http://support.
microsoft.com/?id=839499

That involved restarting a lot of services, which may have left the
domain in a dodgy state (I don't think everything stopped or started
properly).  In fact, everything seems to be linked to that knowledge
base article.  Unfortunately, while it did cure the file sharing
problems, we still can't access event viewer/services remotely, and
aparrently can't access group policy at all on that problem DC.

I'll reboot it and see what happens.

Neil.