[windows2000] Re: Windows 2000 domain disaster recovery

  • From: "Mark Lane" <marklanemail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:30:19 -0600

You could use disk-imaging software.  Acronis comes to mind.  I have not
used it yet, but I stumbled across it looking for an easy way to move
servers to different hardware.  Their next version for servers is due out
this spring, and even supports imaging across different hardware (HALs) and
processor configurations (single, dual, quad...).  It will make a portable
file and boot disk, and will retain SID, computer name, AD database, etc....
The image can be made while the server is running.

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sorin Srbu

Your strat egy implies you don't do or change anything too often to your AD.
Myself, I'm sort of mirroring the dept setup with DCs, AD and software
deployments (most notably servicepacks and new office versions) before I
roll them out IRL at the dept. I found this way I'm saving myself quite a
few gray hairs... 8-)