[windows2000] Re: Windows 2000 Server in an NT 4 domain

  • From: Frank Monroe <Frank.Monroe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 17:45:54 -0500

If I understand what you are trying to do correctly, you won't be able to
"add" a Windows 2000 server as a DC.  You will have to upgrade whichever
server is your PDC (which you can switch any one of your BDC's to if you
want to upgrade a specific server) to Windows 2000.  After that is done, you
can "add" a new Windows 2000 server and then run dcpromo take make it a DC.
Keep in mind, once you have a Windows 2000 DC, all of your 2000/XP clients
will notice that you have an Active Directory domain and will stop using NT
4.0 style policies.  And, if you don't setup the equivalent in Active
Directory, the settings will revert back to their default values.