[windows2000] Re: Win XP SP1 intall via RIS -- client install hangs!

  • From: "Alfonso Lopez de Ayala" <alopezdeayala@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:48:33 -0700

Subject: Windows 2000 Server SP4 hotfix for RIS Win XP SP1 problem

Bingo!  A nice fella posted the solution to my posting on the subject in
Microsoft's newsgroup... thought I'd share since this problem is bound
to happen to any of you trying to deploy Windows XP SP1 from Win 2k Svr
RIS.

The problem is addressed in a Q327536 (which for some weird reason I
can't access thru the Microsoft web, so I'll summarize here):

Symptom: RIS client hangs and receives a "STOP 0x0000006b
Process1_Initialization_Failed" error when installing a Windows XP SP1
image (created from a Windows XP source slipstreamed with Service Pack
1).

Cause: The problem happens because of some change they've apparently
done in security in Windows XP SP1 (or greater) that will use NTLMv2
during the client logon phase of RIS installation and thus the client
will receive the error because of an SMB signing failure.

Solution: There is a fix (that will be part of Windows 2000 SP4) that
will solve the problem when applied to ALL THE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS in the
domain (and not to the RIS server).  To obtain this Post-SP3 hotfix you
have to call Microsoft.

I just installed the fix and it works!  Thanks to all of you that gave
me tips to help me solve this problem!

Alfonso