[windows2000] Re: What is "Authenticated Users"?

  • From: "Joe Mulhall" <Joe.Mulhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:15:11 +0100

Ray,

I believe you are correct and the difference is minor, Authenticated Users is
different from Everyone in that it does not include anonymous accounts such as
IUSR (link wrapped).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/netmgmt/netmgmt/requirements_for_network_management_functions_on_active_directory_domain_controllers.asp

"Maybe it has to do with the difference between anonymous users and
authenticated users.  I do not know exactly what is meant by anonymous
users; I just remember seeing something about anonymous browsing in the
online security tester thing on MS's site.  And this didn't have
anything to do with IUSR accounts or anything like that.  It's a
different kind of anonymous.  (That's not anonymous anyway.)"

Joe Mulhall
MCSE, MCP+I, CCSA

Network Engineer