[windows2000] Re: WSUS configuration

  • From: Dave stevens <london31uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:28:22 -0800 (PST)

Ok, but with some of the users I am dealing with that in itself might become a
problem.

  Andrew, the way you have yours setup, does it actually start updates @
4.00pm, and again how do you set the pestering bit? Again has this worked ok
for you guys?

  Hey Glenn, has it worked ok for you as well, cos I see a situation were user
would wonder off home and not bother to reboot.

  I really wish there was a way  to force reboot say 1hr after reboot should
have taken place. That way it becomes a win-win situation, cos I got some user
who dont understand the need to update thier pc, and are seriously moaning at
the idea of having to reboot their pc.

  Dave

Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  It would let them postpone the reboot, but it will pester the user every so
often :) (every 15mins is default I think)

The way we have ours set is to auto install at 4pm with a 30min pestering time.
This way, they only really get hassled once before they go home..

Andrew

  On 13/12/05, Dave stevens < london31uk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Thanks Glenn.
  Would that option in GPO give the user the ability to suspend a reboot or is
the user not prompted with the option? If it gives the user the option to
reboot later, can a forced reboot be applied if the has not been rebooted after
about 8hrs after patch applied.?

  Thanks

  Dave

"Sullivan, Glenn" < GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Sure...

  The only time W SUS will only install one patch at a time is when the patch
in question is required for the proper use of WSUS.

  So, the first time they all connect, your clients will probably install the
BITS update, and the Windows Installer update.

  But after that, they will download the whole lot (or what can be done in one
sitting... for example, SP2 has to be done by itself.)

  As to the restart option, set this Group Policy option:
  No Auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Update installations - Enabled

  HTH,
  Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.

---------------------------------
  From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dave stevens
Posted At: Tues day, December 13, 2005 10:25 AM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] WSUS configuration
Subject: [windows2000] WSUS configuration

  Hi Guys,

  Just installed WSUS, and from what I can see loads of pc's on our network
have not been patched in quite a while. Which means I have a lot of work
pushing stuff out.

  My question, is there a way to push out more than 1 update and have the pc's
restart only once. Also is it possible to have the user control when the pc
should be restarted after the update has been installed, and by whom.

  Thanks

  Dave

  Yahoo! Shopping

  Yahoo! Shopping