[windows2000] Virus/Worm via Messenger Service?

  • From: cej4108@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Charles E. James)
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 13:52:37 -0400

Hi, Everyone

Just in case it was not mentioned earlier I thought I would revisit this new
form of SPAM.

Apparently there is some organization or person out there who is using the
NetBIOS ping (or something like that) to gleem IP addresses, etc. They are then
sending out a SPAM (the initial one was a poem which I believe was a test of
the new spamming venue) to all those IP addresses and if they happen to be in a
GUI environment then you get that irratating pop-up window.

You can shut it down by disabling the programs involved in IM but there are
other functions of your O/S that require the same drivers or whatever to
function and if you turn it all off then you loose your networking capabilities.

Where I currently work they supplied us with a web page that lists all the IP
addresses that are associated with their network protocols so we can set up the
appropriate permissions.

There is a much easier way to overcome this and that is a software firewall on
the user workstation. I use my firewall to block out all those stray pings that
hit my IP address. Because I block those that are not directly related to my
work network environment I didn't get the Pop-up spam window. The machine I use
for testing which doesn't have a firewall did get the pop-up spam.

I have not received any pop-up spam on the protected machine. The firewall can
also provide protection against pop-up ads, email attachment protection, etc.

I also use ad-aware which is a freeware product that scans your computer for
that little script that gets loaded when you visit a web page so you won't get
pop-ups, etc....i.e. sends out info on your surfing habits, etc...

Anyway, take the easy way to protect from this new form of spam...

--
Charles E. James, Programmer/Analyst
U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley California