[windows2000] Re: Two processors as one

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:24:04 +0100

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:16:45 -0500, Costanzo, Ray wrote:

>So, we got a few servers recently for some SQL stuff, and the guys who
>handle the hardware side of things say that these servers all have two
>processors but they're "bridged" or something to appear as one.  In the
>task manager, only one processor shows up.  I've never heard of
>"bridging" processors or anything like that.  Is this guy just making
>stuff up, or is this something that can be done?  The servers are Compaq
>Proliant DL380s, which I see can be purchased with two processors.
>http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl380/description-g3.
>html  What I'm getting at though, which I didn't really intend to ask
>here, is that if these servers are twin processor servers with them
>"bridged" or whatever, how many per-processor SQL licenses would we
>need?  One or two?

When we bought our Oracle licenses, they specifically stated that
"one license per cpu, no matter how they are grouped", which we had
to consider very carefully, because of the humungous pricetag on
the db. We finally settled on a one-cpu-machine, as the load on the
db isn't *that* high. We use oracle as the engine for MDL
ISIS/Base, a chemical logging/inventory application, which we must
have according to swedish law.

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmaci.uu.se
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46-18-4714482 >> 5 signals >>
GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46-701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University      Fax: +46-18-471-4474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.