[windows2000] Trend OfficeScan Remote Clients

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 13:29:08 -0500

While we are talking about Cross posting: I am going to do exactly that with
this message, since some of you are not on the NTSysAdmin list, but are
smart as hell...

I wondered if I could solicit an opinion from the Trend OfficeScan users on
this list.

I want to know how you handle remote clients, and their synchronization
issues.

Background: I only have a few remote users, but they are NEVER in the
office.  They are our regional salesmen.

They can never seem to keep on top of synchronization of their OfficeScan
program and pattern files.

According to my research, there are a few options.  I'll spell them out for
you:

1. VPN into my network, and then synchronize directly.
Pro: most secure method (I believe)
Con: Requires user interaction.  Which means it never gets done.

2. Allow traffic from the outside world in to my OfficeScan server.
Pro: I can use the Trend "Mobile Client Updater" to cause the client to
synch automatically when the user connects to the internet.
Con: Open ports to the OfficeScan server, which is not a dedicated
machine...

3. Install the Trend Remote Agent on each mobile client
Pro: Client would then synch with the Trend Micro servers directly.
Con: I would have no status reporting for those clients then.  They don't
notify me that they have synched with the Trend server directly.

Am I missing an option?

How are you guys handling it?  BTW, other than this sticking point, I could
not be happier with the Trend series of products.  But YMMV.

Thanks in advance for any insight...

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA