[windows2000] Re: Thin Client Project

  • From: "Grant, Lachlan ISMC:EX" <Lachlan.Grant@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:01:08 -0800

I would second that, management of thin client devices can be difficult
for something supposedly simple.

we use Rapport to manage 2000+ devices, and its quite limited in what it
can do in a granular sense. Rapport is good for pushing out images, but
i've had quite stupid and unexpected results from pushing out
configurations even after thoroughly testing them on my test terminals.

our main problems with wyse are power problems, random resets of
configs, and the keyboard and mouse will freeze up too, session is still
fine though (excluding mouse and keyboard). which means the user has to
reboot the terminal. supposedly these are all due to the power issues
everyone seems to complain about with wyse. we've had multiple images
from Wyse without any resolution of the problem.

we've also had trouble with wyse terminals over wireless circuits where
they would contantly drop out.

that being said, the only other brand of thin client's i've used are
HP/Compaq T20's. they were ok, but are now made by wyse i believe. i've
never heard bad things about Neoware though....

cheers,

lachlan.