[windows2000] Storage Solutions

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:28:00 -0400

I wanted to start a discussion on this to see what the rest of you are
doing and get a better understanding myself as I get pushed this
direction.

Currently, all our network drives are shared off of one server.  It has
two raid 5 arrays and has about 60GB of total file space.  All the user
home drives are there, plus the departmental shares, a public chare etc.

Those drives are nearly full.  My SQL server is running into the same
wall.  I backup my SQL databases to disk then put those backups on tape.
I have enough disk for the databases but the backups fail sometimes if
the previous nights files don't get removed first.

I don't think just replacing the current drives on these servers with
bigger drives is the answer.

I have looking into setting up a SAN but they cost a small fortune.  I
can generally spend whatever I want here but I can't justify spending
that much on storage.

I have also looked at those Iomega 1u storage servers but they seem
cheap and a little weak for the kind of reliability I need.

What else is there for adding storage?  We have gigabit Ethernet in
place on the server rack.  Most of the clients connect via Citrix so the
connections from their sessions to the other servers is really good.

Is there something in between?  A SAN is nice, but I don't need my
servers to boot from it or anything.  I just need storage available to
the network somehow and need it available fast enough that it doesn't
bog things down.

My other thought is that I can set my backups to backup to disk and then
back that up to tape so users aren't slowed down by backup.  A couple of
DLT drives in a server isn't cutting it for backup anymore either.

Thanks!

Greg