[windows2000] Sorry to interupt the Friday fun...

  • From: "Nick Smith" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:24:04 +0100

... I have a work-related problem. Boring, I know.

On a W2k3 Server, which is acting as a file-server and a Terminal Server
(I know; but it's only 7 seven people), one folder and all it's
sub-folders keeps reverting to Read-only.

Symptoms: try to save as a normal user in Excel, and it say that the
folder you are trying to save to is read-only. Save as Administrator and
it's fine.

If I look at properties on the Folder, the Read-Only tick-box is
grey-ticked (It has a tick, but not fully: like a backup folder where
only half the sub-folders are going to be backed up). If I untick it, it
asks if I'm sure I want to do this for sub-folders as well, I say yes,
and it takes a few minutes changing all the permissions on itself and
sub-folders. Go back out, look at properties again, and the half-tick is
back.

This folder is in the root of the drive, so I don't think it can be
inheriting read-only permissions from above.

Any ideas?