[windows2000] Re: Slightly OT: XP SP2 - Install or Not?

  • From: "Andrew Shriner" <ashriner@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:47:29 -0500

Now that you mention it, that didn't really occur to me that it was
related to SP2 directly... but we've been having a few machines die here
and there with that stop error, requiring re-imaging. It is only
happening on our OmniTech brand PCs - not on any of our Compaq, HP,
Gateway, or Dell computers. I'm not sure if there is a correlation
between the drive and the problem or what, but I do know that all of our
OmniTech machines were shipped with Quantum Fireball hard drives - they
are the only ones that have had this problem. We've had quite a few of
those hard drives fail recently... and I think some of them are the ones
that were encountering that stop error. I do know that they are shipping
both Seagates and Maxtors to replace the Quantums, and we've not
encountered the stop errors on computers that have had their hard drives
replaced.

Now, this could *all* be coincidence... and with all of the problems
I've had with those OmniTechs, it wouldn't surprise me in the least...
or this could all somehow make sense, and the problem lies with the
drive or some other aspect common to the machines having this issue.

lalalalalalalalalalala It's been a long morning already, and I fell
asleep on the way to work this morning :'( Let me know if the above
message didn't make any sense.

Drew

>>> n.bullock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 11/11/04 04:06AM >>>
Hi,

I've installed it on most of the 200 XP machines we have here.  Since
then,
I've had some problems that I blame on a combination of XPSP2 and NTFS
-
because I can't think of anything else it might be, given the
circumstances.
Ever since we installed SP2, occasionally computers running NTFS decide
that
they are going to die with 0x00000051 REGISTRY_ERROR stop errors,
requiring
re-imaging.  This never once happened in the year or so we had XP with
only
SP1, and only ever happens in the rooms running NTFS - we have a room
full
of FAT32 machines which stand immune.

Having said that, I've not had any problems at home with XPSP2.  Maybe
it's
the school environment it doesn't like.  Though, I'd be grateful if
anyone
has any advice.

--
Neil Bullock, ICT Technician
Brayton College, Doncaster Road, Selby, YO8 9QS, England.

Dillinger