[windows2000] Re: Shared Fax Service

  • From: "Neil Myers" <neil.m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:58:49 -0000

Mark,

Sorry :)  I see what you are after (I think). As far as I can see there is
very little interconnection between SFS, Exchange and AD, so I would think
these would not be required. However, I wasn't aware that you could run
SBS2000 without AD.

Anyway, the SFS has it's own MMC, and all settings are independent of
AD/Exchange. However, if you want to route faxes through email or receive
confirmations via email then you need to set up the link to Exchange, but
this is just a case of filling in the SMTP server details on the SFS MMC,
assuming Exchange is installed.

At the workstation end, the SFS client is used just like any other printer
attached to the network.

On a technical note, the Shared Fax Service requires that only these
services are running:

    Plug and Play
    Print Spooler
    RPC