[windows2000] Re: Several Static IP Address and Linksys Route r

  • From: "Randall Yoo" <randallyoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 08:12:15 -0700

DSL/cable "modems" (unlike routers) are layer-2 devices and therefore do not
have IP addresses (they're simply not capable of having one) - rather, they
have MAC (hardware) addresses.  Another example of layer-2 devices is a
basic switch.  Layer-3 devices like routers work with IP addresses.

If I may make a recommendation, read up on OSI layers.

Randall