[windows2000] Re: Server almost dead after security update - windows 2008

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 11:13:56 +0200

Patrick <> scribbled on Monday, September 08, 2008 10:48 AM:

> not sure if anyone has experienced this, but I recently applied several
> patches to the Test Windows 2008 server enviroment, and it practically
> killed the box, so much so that I had to do a reinstall (Update) to get
> things up and running again. Is there anything out there that one need to
> know about?
>
> Just a brief description of symptoms.
>
> 1: All VM's would not not start or be recognised.
> 2: Noticed that the Nic save for the Virtual Network had been uninstalled
> and would not re-install.
> 3: The VM's had been moved from
> Users\Public\public documents\Vm Folder to a totally new folder and the
> permissions had been modified accordingly
>
> Although I had to go through the long way to get things up and running
> again, I would like to know what the possible cause is.

I installed a new win2k8 x64-server some months ago to be used exclusively
with Windows Sharepoint Services 3 (WSS). During the time, I've had it run
updates more or less automatically with no problems, except for the occasional
hiccup (rarely really) when backing up the 2GB WSS db and sites failed.

For me this win2k8-installation (department's only one so far) has been
extremely stable. More so even than some of our win2k3-servers, which I guess
is a good sign. Knock on wood...

Can you tell us more about the hardware on your win2k8-server?