[windows2000] Secondary domain controller offline

  • From: "Costanzo, Ray" <RCostanzo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:42:07 -0500

Hi list,

I have a W2K domain at home, and I finally completed an overdue task of
setting up a second domain controller.  I set this up as a virtual
machine in VMWare, and plan on just booting it up once or a month or so
to make sure it has the latest domain info it needs.  If my real DC ever
dies, I'll use the virtual one to replicate the data to the replacement
physical machine I'd have to get.  But, now since setting up this
virtual machine and powering it off, when I go to add a new user, update
a user, or anything like that in Active Directory Users and Computers,
everything sits waiting for a while in between operations.  I imagine
that this is because the real DC is looking for the other DC it became
aware of the other day.  Is there anything I can do about this, aside
from keeping my second DC running all the time?

Thanks,

Ray at work