[windows2000] SV: RAID

  • From: "Svein Arild Haugum" <svein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:18:40 +0200

If you use RAID 5, ony use it for the database files.

A normal decent SQL Server would be:

RAID 1 for opsys and pagefile (sql doesnt page much, its ok to have this on one
disk, use 1,5 the memory for the pagefile as a starter)

RAID 1 or raid 10 for the logs, a raid 1, wich you use ONLY for logs is quite
decent, since the drive alvays stays in the right place ro write....

RAID 1 (good, but expencive), RAID 10 (Really good) and RAID5 (Cheap) for the
databases.

Remember for format the LOG and Data drives with 64KB clusters.

If you can afford, use one RAID controller per array. If not use different
channels if possible.

I have som good tuning hardware, opsys and databases papers for sql server,
mail me off the list if you want them. (Probably cant give them before monday)

Mvh
Svein Arild