[windows2000] SQL Server 2000 on an ISA server

  • From: "Rod Falanga" <rfalanga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:10:57 -0700

I'm looking for opinions.  I've got a new server, which I intend to use to
replace our ISA server.  It will have Windows 2003 Server on it.  It is a
pretty beefy machine; lots of memory, lots of disk space.  The guy who is
configuring it for me wants to put SQL Server 2000 onto it as well.  I've been
to one or two regional TechNet meetings that Microsoft puts on and their
recommendation is to not put much onto an ISA server that is playing the part
of the DMZ.  Perhaps I should not have ordered a server with so much resources,
but I did, and my parent company is very strongly suggesting that we put other
things onto this server, like SQL Server.  And certainly we are a pretty small
shop.  My network has just 20 internal users with maybe 100 external users to
either dial in, or connect via VPN and terminal services.  Our SQL Server
databases all told, probably come to something like 0.6 GB.

So, my question to you is this.  Should I keep SQL Server off of it?  Or given
our relatively low demand (I am sure we have much less business than most of
you), go ahead and put SQL Server onto it?

Rod Falanga
http://amci.unm.edu