[windows2000] SOLUTION: Forcing a DOD VPN up

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,"'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 07:32:03 -0500

I've wrote a simple little VB program to solve a problem I was having, and
figured it might help the rest of you out.

PROBLEM:
I recently set up a remote office for a side client, with an identical VPN
capable firewall as a central site.  It was very easy to set up a
Dial-On-Demand IP-SEC based VPN between this site and the central site, and
once the VPN was up and running, terminal sessions went fine over the link.

The problem is, it takes close to 7 seconds from when the remote router
"hears" traffic bound for the central office to negotiate the connection.
Which means that the users get "Remote server unavailable" messages the
first three or four times that they try to connect (by running a shortcut to
a RDP 5.1 file).

Have you ever tried to tell a user how to ping, and then how to stop the
ping when they start getting replies?  It doesn't work well...

SOLUTION:
I wrote a quick little program in VB6 that allows you to specify (and save)
an IP address and ping that IP address, with very little user interaction.
It also has a Success and Failure threshold, which, when crossed, stop the
ping process and notify the user one way or the other.

I now set this up on user machines, pointed at an IP address on the other
side of the VPN, with a success threshold of 3 (3 successful ping replies
received) and a failure threshold of 20 (20 failed replies... that's about
20 seconds of no VPN, so there must be something wrong).  I set it to "Auto
start" so that, when the user click's the icon it automatically starts the
pings, and then notifies the user when done.

I have it bundled up into an MSI file, and it's about 1.2kb.  Fits on a
floppy if you need it to.

I call it "Get It Up!" since what it does is get the VPN up and running for
you.  My wife hates the name...

Email me OFFLIST, and I can send you a copy.  If I get too many requests,
maybe I'll convince Jim to put in in the Thin.net files area.

Hope it helps someone,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.