[windows2000] Routing to the internet using Microsoft routing and remote access service

  • From: "Jensen, Douglas" <douglas.jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:04:57 -0500

So, this is still the issue of trying to access a web site using SSL over
port 4443 (not the standard 443).

I have a server that has routing and remote access on it that is providing a
VPN connection to another branch office.  This is working just fine.

This server can also access this SSL site over port 4443 because it is not
going through the ISA server which has a problem with the SSL and a
non-standard port.

Shouldn't I be able to route traffic through this Windows Router to the
internet?

I set a default route on the router:

Destination     0.0.0.0
Mask    0.0.0.0
Gateway 192.168.200.1 (the gateway for that external interface)
Interface 192.168.200.21

We are several segments away from the actual internet and I only have
control of this segment.  Our internal network is 192.168.254.0 mask
255.255.255.0 and the internal interface on this router is 192.168.254.1.

I configured my computer with a default gateway of 192.168.254.1 which is
the internal interface of the router and assigned DNS servers the same as
are assigned on the external interface of my router server.

I can connect to the internet on the router server but can not connect from
the computer and I can not figure out what I am missing. From my computer I
can not ping anything beyond 192.168.200.21 and 192.168.200.1 and can not
use IE to get to things on the internet.  It seems it gets to the router
default gateway but no farther.  From the router server, I can ping things
on the internet and use IE for things on the internet.

Thanks in advance.
Doug