[windows2000] Re: Remote Assistance/Desktop

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 16:30:19 +0100

windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <> scribbled on Wednesday, November 09,
2005 4:11 PM:

I responded to Andrew's comment on unblocking VNC in the firewall, as it
apparantely is blocked there. I haven't said a thing about Gencontrol.

Sometimes you need to connect to a computer at work from say home. If
there is a firewall blocking the use of eg VNC, the firewall rule or
whatever will have to be changed accordingly, unless you use some sort
of VPN-tunneling or some such. VNC all by itself (meaning the free
version) doesn't have any of this.

> What's this got to do with firewalls? I do certainly not run VNC
through
> a firewall? If I need to connect to a users machine from outside I can
> run Gencontrol within a VPN or Citrix session. Why would you need/want
> to run directly through a firewall?

Ltd