[windows2000] Re: RPC Server Unavailable

  • From: "Costanzo, Ray" <RCostanzo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:20:47 -0400

Is the server service running on the remote machine

nbtstat -a machinename

If you do NOT see an entry with a <20> in it, the server service isn't
running.  Basically, you're screwed until the next time an admin logs
onto the machine and can see what's going on with the service.

Here are some meanings of codes in the net bios table:

Name                Number(h)  Type  Usage
<computername>         00       U    Workstation Service
<computername>         01       U    Messenger Service
<\\--__MSBROWSE__>     01       G    Master Browser
<computername>         03       U    Messenger Service
<computername>         06       U    RAS Server Service
<computername>         1F       U    NetDDE Service
<computername>         20       U    File Server Service
<computername>         21       U    RAS Client Service
<computername>         22       U    Microsoft Exchange
Interchange(MSMail
                                     Connector)
<computername>         23       U    Microsoft Exchange Store
<computername>         24       U    Microsoft Exchange Directory
<computername>         30       U    Modem Sharing Server Service
<computername>         31       U    Modem Sharing Client Service
<computername>         43       U    SMS Clients Remote Control
<computername>         44       U    SMS Administrators Remote Control
                                     Tool
<computername>         45       U    SMS Clients Remote Chat
<computername>         46       U    SMS Clients Remote Transfer
<computername>         4C       U    DEC Pathworks TCPIP service on
                                     Windows NT
<computername>         42       U    mccaffee anti-virus
<computername>         52       U    DEC Pathworks TCPIP service on
                                     Windows NT
<computername>         87       U    Microsoft Exchange MTA
<computername>         6A       U    Microsoft Exchange IMC
<computername>         BE       U    Network Monitor Agent
<computername>         BF       U    Network Monitor Application
<username>             03       U    Messenger Service
<domain>               00       G    Domain Name
<domain>               1B       U    Domain Master Browser
<domain>               1C       G    Domain Controllers
<domain>               1D       U    Master Browser
<domain>               1E       G    Browser Service Elections
<INet~Services>        1C       G    IIS
<IS~computer name>     00       U    IIS
<computername>         [2B]     U    Lotus Notes Server Service
IRISMULTICAST          [2F]     G    Lotus Notes
IRISNAMESERVER         [33]     G    Lotus Notes
Forte_$ND800ZA         [20]     U    DCA IrmaLan Gateway Server Service

Ray at work