[windows2000] Problems with authentication

  • From: "Freitas, Eduardo" <Eduardo.Freitas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 12:30:08 -0500

Hello everyone,

I currently have some weird problem which I was not able to find out an
explanation yet. Anyone trying to access the mapped folder are getting the
following error message:

"The system detected a possible attempt to compromise security. Please make
sure you can reach the server that authenticated you."

Sometimes the error message is the following:

"An error occurred while reconnecting P: to \\x.x.x.x\MappedFolder$"

This connection has been restored.

When I try accessing \\x.x.x.x\MappedFolder$ directly through run I get a
dialog box asking for my username and password even though I am logged in
with a user with rights to access it (It has always worked until today).

When I logged in today, everything was fine. After 1 hour approximately new
people tried logging in and from a point on no one was able to access it
except people who logged in before that point.
But then I tried to restart the server and then everyone started having the
problem.
I also had that problem using outlook (accessing the exchange server) with
some users but not all.

After a couple of hours the problem just seemed to have "gone away" and now
everything works fine.

The strange thing is it was not a network problem... The E-Mail server
located in another country and the DC (located in another continent) was
reachable by ping.

I would really like to know what the problem was.

There was also the following errors on the Event Log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source:     NETLOGON
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   5719

There was also a couple of LSA errors and W32Time errors that make me
believe this is a Kerberos error of some type.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source:     LSASRV
Event Category:   SPNEGO (Negotiator)
Event ID:   40960

Event Type: Warning
Event Source:     LSASRV
Event Category:   SPNEGO (Negotiator)
Event ID:   40961

If anyone has any experience with anything similar, please comment on what
could be causing the problem. For now, I believe it is something related to
Kerberos and W32Time.

Best regards,

Eduardo