[windows2000] Problem with a users Outlook 2000 Mailbox

  • From: "Martin, Eddie" <EMartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:28:28 -0400

We have a user that uses Microsoft Outlook 2000.  He sent me an email this
morning stating that he couldn't move any of his mail to an archive folder.
He was recieving the message:

"Some items could not be moved.  They were either moved or deleted, or
access was denied."

I looked this error message up and came across KB274492 which stated:

Typically these error messages indicate that Outlook cannot perform the
operation because you have too many items selected.  You can do one of the
following to avoid the error messages:

Select fewer items and perform the operation. (I selected one emai, tried to
move it to the archive folder and received the same error message)
Create an Inbox rule to process these items for you. (I tried this and it
took about 10 mins, then gave me a rule error message)

In any case I tried both methods that they gave me and neither worked.  (of
course!)

The user has approximately 45,000 emails in his inbox.  I am thinking that
his mailbox may be corrupted on the exchange server (which is 5.5).  If this
is true what steps can I take to fix it.  I am not totally versed in
Exchange, but I have some experience.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards,

Eddie