[windows2000] Re: Printing Permissions Strategy

  • From: "Jason Fiegel" <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:37:20 -0400

This does help -- and some of the dialogue helps bring to the forefront the
real issue here.

I have users that are not "malicously" connecting to incorrect printers;
rather, I have users that are switching their own defaults, logging onto PCs
without a NIC\LAN Connection...not onto the Domain....not getting a script.

Point is -- if they can "accidentally" do something, they will.

So my directive is to enforce security policy that provides for users whom
move -- literally be in any of four sites in one day -- to NOT BE ALLOWED
(through permission) to print to a location not physically close to
themselves.

Yes, we are fully subnetted; I can assign scripts, mappings per site.  My
concern is "disallowing" printing in all other sites.

I've considered:
(1) A logon script that would add a user to a Group permitted to print to a
given printer (based upon a hash of the IP Address); and a partnering logoff
script to remove the authorization.

(2) Filtering either via IP or Packet traffic destined for a printer.

I'm not happy with either solution because of the implications of
implementation.

Any other thoughts?