[windows2000] Re: OT: Which new laptop, and how to handle serial communication

  • From: "Andrew Shriner" <aShriner@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 08:24:54 -0500

>I feel the same about floppy drives, I need them occasionally, and
it's a PITA when either OEMs or brand computer manufacturers skip
them, with the reason that nobody uses them anymore. Well, here's a
surprise; I use them! A USB-FDD is not always available when
off-site... 8-/

I keep a USB floppy drive in my backpack, for situations exactly like
that :)

>>Plus we in a manufacturing environment have tons of old equipment and
gages requiring DB9 connection interfaces. Hey I finally got rid of the
last of the ISA cards.

>Congrats! 8-)

I wish I could claim that... we're still using some. Hell, we've even
got a Tandy driving some equipment :O

Andrew

>>> Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 12/08/04 08:15AM >>>
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:07:42 -0500, Joanne Determann wrote:

>Yeah... but what about us folks that need the old DB9 port to connect
to WAPs, Switches, Routers and UPS console ports? I have been using my
port replicator but it's really awkward and I don't appreciate the extra
weight when I'm climbing a ladder or balancing behind a rack. And the
only time I need the old DB9 is when I'm not at my desk. And at my desk
is  where the docking station/port replicator should stay IMHO.

I feel the same about floppy drives, I need them occasionally, and
it's a PITA when either OEMs or brand computer manufacturers skip
them, with the reason that nobody uses them anymore. Well, here's a
surprise; I use them! A USB-FDD is not always available when
off-site... 8-/

>Plus we in a manufacturing environment have tons of old equipment and
gages requiring DB9 connection interfaces. Hey I finally got rid of the
last of the ISA cards.

Congrats! 8-)

included.

BW,

Sorin

http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
> Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 3
signals >> GSM
> Div of Org Pharm Chem,                Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
> Box 574, Uppsala University,          Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
> SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3,
D5:512b

> Public PGP key available on request.
>
> ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
> /\
>
> Harmless tagline follows:
>
> BOFH excuse follows: PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And
Chair)