[windows2000] Re: OT? Trojan Horses

  • From: Steven Peck DNET <speck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:05:22 -0800

Not a completely accurate summation about Linux firewall distro's :)
www.leaf-project.org

You need a computer, 486 or up with 16MB RAM.(no hard drive needed)
The Bering or Dachenstein distro (pick one)
2 NICs (nics are REALLY cheap)
Floppy drive (and/or CD route option available)
Monitor while you set it up, then setup ssh and put into closet (admin
remotely).

Follow the instructions, done.  It took me 30 minutes to setup my first one
a few years ago, with no Linux exposure.  If you want to do weird stuff,
there is a learning curve, but if you just want to port forward to a web or
mail server, it's pretty straight forward.

Caveats......
We all know Ray wont use non-MS products :)
It probably does use more electricity.
LEAF gains you a lot more flexibility and protection then a hw box that
isn't upgraded.  It also allows you to do a lot more.  Many years ago, it
allowed me to play with a nice firewall routing feature set at home before I
mucked things up at work as they tossed me in and said SWIM! :)

HW box may be better solution for some, it depends on the user and their
objective.  If it's just basic routing and firewall with out running a
mail/web server, then the HW box may be better.

I have deployed both solutions depending on the end user and what they were
going to use it for.

-sp