[windows2000] Re: OT: SMART with harddrives

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:33:58 +0200

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:24:47 +0200, Sorin Srbu wrote:

>>If you look at the original post he asked how the drive could have 6
>>years of "power on" time.  In the additional information, he said it was
>>a Maxtor 300 GB drive.  I don't think you could buy one of those in
>>1998.
>>I would have to guess that Diskcheckup gave you some bad information.
>>You may need to ask them where their software gets this kind of faulty
>>information also.
>>That is the only answer I know of.
>
>I was thinking in the same lanes. THe diskcheckup applet is made by
>Passmark, who are ok and shouldn't release bad software I think.
>
>>http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm
>
>I just now saw that they have a later release of the software,
>which I'll try and see if I get the same out-of-this-world poweron
>times.

I think I know what the problem is:

It would seem that *only* Maxtor harddrives return that hilarious
power-on time. I tried the new diskcheckup release on a recent
ExcelStor- and an older Seagate-drive as well as on a somewhat
dated Seagate, and these return more agreeable times.

So after this highly un-scientific test I proclaim that Maxtor have
their power-on SMART flags screwed up. End of topic. 8-)

Thx for all help and hints everybody!

>>Original post
>>ontime,
>>>> >

>>Added information