[windows2000] OT: SMART with harddrives

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Daniel Sp�ngberg" <daniels@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Wesley Schaal" <wes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:50:54 +0200

Hi,

Just checked a slighly flakey harddrive with a tool called
diskcheckup, and it reported that the particular drive had had
50875 power on hours. That would translate to about 6 years ontime,
right?

Now, I know for a fact that this specific hd was bought and
installed (by me) about 8 months ago, so what gives?

Do any of you what this "power on hours" actually means, as my
initial thought was that it would indicate for how long the drive
been up and running ("on").

I also checked the other two harddrives on the same computer, and
those also report power-on times in the 50-60k hrs range, in fact
other drives on other computers I checked out of curiousity  also
report totally hillarious power on hours. We do run our servers and
clients 24/7, but none of those are even as old as the hd SMART
power-on flag indicates.

Is the SMART-features at all reliable??

This is weird... Thx for any hints

BW,