[windows2000] Re: OT: Freeware mail server?

  • From: Jon Spriggs <jon.spriggs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:34:48 +0000

Apparently Hula on Linux is quite a good one? (I've not tried it).

Anything based on Linux will have IMAP, POP3 and SMTP portions
available using a variety of different products. Using Squirrelmail
(or something similar) you can also provide webmail. With OpenLDAP you
can integrate with Active Directory quite easily. Hell, if you want to
go the whole hog, you can also integrate a Jabber server
authenticating off the same AD tree.

I did this about 3 years ago for a previous employer when their
exchange server failed and they couldn't work out what was wrong with
it. The only criticism was that they didn't have shared calendars.

Jon

--
Jon "Four Star Gun" Spriggs AKA
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs