[windows2000] OT: Firewall for Windows Mobile-devices

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:45:10 +0200

Hi all,

Yet another OT-question. Hope you don't mind guys! 8-}

As I'll be going to the Teched Europe-conference this autumn, I'll have access
to the wifi-networks there. Usually those networks are unencrypted and totally
open, so one is better advised to have firewalls installed. For my portable
computer I've always been pretty locked down with Zonealarm Free, but what
about Windows Mobile-devices?

The only one I've found is Airscanner Mobile Firewall, which is payware.

Would anybody on this be aware of a freeware WM-firewall? Or should I at all
care with using a firewall on mobile devices?

I know that in most forums on the 'net, they say that antivirus for mobile
devices is just a waste of resources and I was kinda' wondering if the same
thing is applicable to firewalls?

FWIW, I've never been able to see my WM-device on my home wifi-network, so I
don't see how anybody would be able to connect to it at all. One would assume
there'd have to be shares open and available on the device, but I haven't been
able to do that, or even find out if Windows Mobile is capable of it.

What's your take on this?
# Sorin Srbu                            [Sysadmin, Systems Engineer]

# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,  Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >3 signals> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                Mobile: +46 (0)701-718023
# Box 574, Uppsala University,  Fax: +46 (0)18-4714482
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden     Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#                                       Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
# ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
# /\
# MotD follows:
# Live dangerously, overclock your servers!