[windows2000] Re: OT: Corporate PC Preferences?

  • From: "Andrew M Stemen" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 01:07:13 -0400

Here's my opinion from a non-end-user perspective:

I've had horrible experiences with Dell support, but not Dell hardware.
I've had horrible experiences with Compaq hardware, but not Compaq
support.

One company that I worked for deployed a couple hundred Compaq Evo's,
and had been a long time Compaq shop. The "Evo experience" had an effect
such that the next deployment was a few hundred OptiPlex GX260s. The
OptiPlex's were far more reliable as far as hardware goes than the Evo's
were, but Compaq support was *much* more responsive and easier to work
with than Dell support. IMHO, it's a wash between those two. I've about
"had it" with Dell's support, even their silver/gold queue.

As for IBM, I haven't personally managed any non-trivial quantity of
their desktops or laptops, but I've contracted for a few companies that
did, and from what I've gathered, they are very reliable, and are, of
course, excellently managed and supported. Price, however, is the
largest source of debate in buying IBM (at least from what I've heard
from those that have used them).

Andrew

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 23:41:08 -0400, "Costanzo, Ray"
<RCostanzo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> I've always only been an end-user, not a purchase-decision-maker, but
> here are my opinions.
>
> I loved the Compaq Evo line.  The computers were small enough to fit
> anywhere, completely problem-free, and stacked quite nicely.  HP carried
> the line, I believe, but when they did, they started using their own
> stupid proprietary things, like non-ATAPI optical drives and what-not.
>
> Where I work now, we have these ridiculously sized Dell Optiplexes.
> They were designed by idiots.  They have these flap doors on the front,
> that everyone winds up ripping off.  The front USB ports are angled down
> toward the floor, which is the most illogical thing that I've ever seen.
> They come apart rather easily, but they're just too damn bulky to work
> on with limited desk-space.  I have three of them at my desk at work,
> and I barely have room to put my feet anywhere anymore.
>
> Ray at home

---
Andrew Michael Stemen
andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx