[windows2000] Network share over the Internet

  • From: "Ray at home" <listray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 03:42:47 -0500

Hi group,

I have a W2K server at a remote location that I'm renting off a Web hosting
company.  This server is connected directly to the Internet without any
firewall in front of it or anything.  I'm unable to map a drive to this
computer over the Internet, and I think I've come to the conclusion that
it's because my home ISP (Comcast) is blocking ports 137-139 (are they the
ones?).  Here is the setup that I had on the remote server while trying to
do this, which I ~think~ should be fine:

-Installed an enabled protocols:
 Client for MS Networks
 File and printer sharing for MS Networks
 NetBEUI
 TCP/IP
  - TCP/IP Filtering - all,all,all
  - All IP Sec policies Unassigned
  - Enable netbios over tcp/ip: ON (matters?)

-Server service started

Questions:
1.  Does this setup seem like it should work, or am I forgetting something?

2.  If my ISP does have these ports blocked, does anyone know of a way to
change the port(s) that Windows uses for hosting file shares?

Thanks,

Ray at home