[windows2000] Re: Network Shares

  • From: Jim.Walls@xxxxxxx
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:07:29 -0700

cej4108@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Charles E. James) said (in part):
<major snip>
> I still can not see the other computer (from either end)
> in Network Neighborhood. I have tried to map to the other
> computer (from either end) with no luck. I even set the
> passwords the same on both machines, just in case...

There is a registry tweek that hides computers in Network Neighborhood.  I
recall that the default is to be visible, however it may have been set at
some point in the past.  There are actually two places - one for
workstations and one for servers, but both are there in either case.  They
are:

H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  System
    Current Control Set
      Services
        LanMan Server
          Parameters
            Hidden = 1   (to hide, or 0 to make visible)

H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  System
    Current Control Set
      Services
        LanMan Workstation
          Parameters
            Hidden = 1   (to hide, or 0 to make visible)

I have a bunch of NT4 workstations that are intentionally hidden and had to
find that one - someone here on this list came up with it.
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@xxxxxxxxx
Mobile Radio Operations
Southern California Edison Co.