[windows2000] Re: Network Help

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:28:23 -0500

I guess what I meant was, do the client computers in the other subnet use
the local machine as a DNS server, or do they do DNS over the link, or are
they set up with ISP DNS entries.

The second DC should point to itself for DNS... every DC that is also a DNS
server (which, assuming AD integrated DNS zones, should be every DC, IMNSHO)
should point to itself.

But I guess I would also make the second DC a GC as well.  No sense having a
DC in the remote site if the clients are going to have to traverse the link
to get to the GC to log in (which, as you found out, is necessary to login).

Does the VPN traffic get filtered at all?  Probably a tough question to
answer, since you aren't the firewall admin...  Does the VPN go through the
firewall or around it?

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.