[windows2000] NTOSKRNL and Windows File Protection

  • From: "H.H.J.B. Schoofs" <Harold.Schoofs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000 <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:50:44 +0200

Hi all,

we have experienced two servers to crash a short while one after another.
"NTOSKRNL.EXE corrupt or missing" was the fatal errormessage.

After re-installing W2K in an other location, we were able to recover the
SystemEventLog. A lot (about a 1000) message like this one:
Event Type:     Information
Event Source:   Windows File Protection
Event Category: None
Event ID:       64006
Date:           9-10-2002
Time:           12:01:02
User:           N/A
Computer:       CSDC11
The protected system file agentdp2.dll was not restored to its original, valid
version because the Windows File Protection restoration process was configured
to not bring up windows.  The currently logged on user was .  The file version
of the bad file is unknown.

Looks like we've got an event for every file in \winnt\system32, including
NTOSKRNL.EXE.

A virusscan did not come up with anything.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?
Or can anyone tell us what went wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Harold Schoofs