[windows2000] Re: NT machines and WINS

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:26:15 -0700

From: "Costanzo, Ray" <rcostanzo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Thanks Rob.  The reason I ask is that for the past couple of weeks, we
have been having ungodly slow logon times in our Citrix environment.  No
one can figure out why.  We have a consultant who came in and he wants
to decrease network traffic by stopping WINS altogether.  That just
sounds wrong to me.  Really really wrong.  We have about 550 NT machines
out there, most of which have the computer browser service disabled
(although one of our other genius consultants wants us to enable it on
all the machines).  I'm afraid of the day that WINS is stopped.  I'm
taking off that day.

Some basic things to check:

1) Slow client, take a look at the CPU and memory usage percentages
2) Slow server, as above
3) Slow network, try MRTG or a packet sniffer. Try and get an idea if you're overloading your connections.
4) Some kind of resolution problem, check your WINS and DNS response times.
5) A citrix problem, do you have the latest patches?
6) Has anyone changed something major recently?
7) You wouldn't happen to have an MSBlaster infection would you?

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Conciousness: that annoying time between naps."